You don’t need to have a lot of friends to be happy. A couple of real friends is more important than the number of friends on your social media accounts. It’s good to have at least two friends in your life, in case one friend moves away, or one of your friends is busy or unavailable when you feel the need to be around a friend or want to hang out.
When you do encounter a potential new friend, you can tell if they are going to be a good friend and worth your time by using these friendship test tips.
- A good friend genuinely likes you and wants to spend time with you. A good friend usually has a lot of the same interests that you have.
- A good friend does not want to spend time with you just to use your gaming system, swim in your pool, get you to drive them everywhere, use some other thing that is yours, or have you pay for everything.
- A good friend does not insult you, put you down, or apply peer pressure to get you to break the rules.
- When you are upset, a good friend will ask you if you are okay, and mean it, and ask if there is anything they can do to help.
- A good friend accepts you for who you are and does not try to change you or encourage you to act in a different way than you normally would unless they think you are going to get yourself into trouble.
- If you sometimes, or often, don’t feel good being around a particular person, they are probably not a good friend. However, if it is only your first or second time hanging out, feeling awkward is normal.
- A real friend sticks up for you and always has your back. A good friend cheers your successes and does not make you feel as if you are less than anyone else.
- A good friend is always your friend, even when other teens who aren’t your friends are around, or even if you are friends with another person that some people don’t like.
- A good friend does not have to be the same age, the same grade, or in your school. Anyone can be a good friend.
- Of course, if you want to be a good friend in return, you should do all these same things for your friends!