Summer 2020 Social Skills Boot Camp (Ages 7-12)
It’s basic training on all the skills for social success! Each group will be led by “drill sergeant” Donna Shea, and her expert staff of leaders. We will drill together, we will chill and play together, and we will accomplish our mission while we have fun!
Each week of boot camp will include elements of direct instruction on the focus topic of the session, fun games and activities to reinforce and support what we are learning about that topic, and opportunities for practice and application using our unique in-the-moment brand of social coaching. Skills will be taught in order from the very basics and build each week to the higher-level skills.
Reserve your child(ren)’s spot online now and pay at the first session or use the print and mail registration form (we do not process credit cards). We need a minimum of 4 participants to hold a program, and there is a maximum of 10 spots in each group.
Each program meets three times a week on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 4:30-5:45 PM. Tuition for a program week is $225/participant.
If you have questions, contact Donna Shea at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978/413-1965.
- Week #1 – Boundary Brigade – July 7, 8 & 9: We start boot camp with a week focused on building self-awareness, awareness of others and our environment. We will talk about physical boundaries, language boundaries, and invisible boundary rules that include adult authority figures. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.
- Week #2 – Self Control Soldiers – July 14, 15 & 16: All social interactions and environments require us to learn to use self-control. We must develop power and control over our actions before we can properly interact with others. Self-modulation and making good choices will also be discussed in this second week of boot camp. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.
- Week #3 – Transition Troopers – July 21, 22 & 23: This week we focus on transitions, what they are, and how to create smooth instead of sticky ones. When we get stuck, hyper-focus, or insist on finishing even when time is up, it has an impact on the other people around us. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.
- Week #4 – Reaction Recon – July 28, 29 & 30: We get command of emotions and reactions during this week of boot camp. We will identify emotions, what our triggers are, learn to gauge the size of our reaction to the size of the problem and manage strong feelings. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.
- Week #5 – Conversation Convoy – August 4, 5 & 6: Now that we have taken a good look at ourselves, it’s time to branch out and make sure we know how to talk with other people. We’ll explore active listening and how to make it about the other person instead of own interests all the time, ask good questions and give reasonably timed answers, pay attention to our tone of voice and rate of speech. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.
- Week #6 – Perspective Patrol – August 11, 12 & 13: We are moving onto the higher ground this week. We’ll be thinking about what it is the other person may be thinking, learning about empathy and why it is so important, discussing different points of view, and learning how to state our own opinion or disagree in a respectful manner. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.
- Week #7 – Compromise Company – August 18, 19 & 20: As our relationships grow deeper, there will always be a need to be able to collaborate and compromise. We can’t always have our way and need to find ways to create a win-a-little for each side by learning conflict resolution and problem-solving skills. We will also discuss the importance of when you make a deal, you don’t break a deal. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.
- Week #8 – Responsibility Rangers – August 25, 26 & 27: We’re getting ready to go back to school and face the responsibilities that come with being another year older. We have responsibilities to school and homework, family, sports teams, chores, and more. This week, we’ll be gearing up to accept and manage those important responsibilities. Reserve a spot online or print and mail the registration form.